Thursday, April 12, 2012

Arrrh! Let Ye Engineer Things

This week I learned that apparently engineers should be like pirates. NI does this cool thing with its R&D employees where it has all of them take a couple of days off engineering to attend presentations put on by fellow employees. I have just attended the first day's worth of presentations. Every hour there were about a half-dozen choices. I attended classes talking about topics ranging from particle physics (talking about our alleged discovery of neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light) to high-level FPGA design using LabVIEW, and of course, how engineers should be like pirates (we need to use things other people have and know where to get them -- but we're not supposed to actually steal them). Anyway, that was pretty fun.

This last week was my birthday. Lots of people had some good birthday wishes and Elissa made me cinnamon rolls (though she would be very upset with me if I didn't say they were frozen cinnamon rolls and not from scratch). On the day of my birthday we didn't really do anything terribly interesting (I mean, I got to talk to my Mom, Elissa's parents, and some others, but we didn't leave the apartment). On Saturday we drove up to the temple and had some Red Robin, then later that night we got a Redbox movie and had some Bluebell ice cream (which is as close as we can get down here to BYU Creamery ice cream).

Sunday was kind of different -- I've never had an Easter service only be 1 hr, but ours was, because there were fumes in the building from refinishing the gym floor. Elissa had to give a talk (and she did a good job, but will deny it if you ask), and the choir did a couple of numbers, but we didn't have to teach our class.

I'm not sure I can think of anything else out of the ordinary that happened this last week, so hope you enjoyed the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.