Saturday, March 9, 2013

Forgotten Past

So I have to tease Elissa a little because she completely left out the date I planned from our last post.  This was one of the ones we planned for Christmas.  This is what Elissa saw when she opened it (more or less):
It may be too hard to read, but the idea is that we were going to the Symphony.  (Elissa helped plan some of this, but she didn't know what was bringing us downtown -- she picked out a very good restaurant).  When the day came for our date, we got tickets for the metro rail to take us downtown, and for the first time got to enjoy downtown without trying to park.  We ate at The Backspace, which is a 'traditional' italian pizza place (I have no idea if it's actually traditional or not, since I haven't been to Italy).  We arrived early at the Symphony, and found that they had a little pre-concert lecture, helping to explain the music.  It told us that the Symphony would feature Jennifer Frautschi playing a concerto by Bartok.  They then explained that it reflected the impending World War II.  It was intense -- Elissa described it by saying you could definitely tell that he was depicting a Nazi invasion.  I really liked the second movement, which was a lot more peaceful (Violin Concerto No. 2, BB 117 -- movement II).

And now, for this week:  Elissa's been battling a cold all week, and today she got a terrible cough to go along with it.  About the only real interesting thing I can think of that happened this week was at work.  NI negotiates with other companies to get training for their employees.  My manager suggested that I should take a particular training class and so I signed up, and it was this last week.  I got to the class, and immediately things started sounding familiar.  By the time they had a short break in the morning, I was about 95% sure I had taken this training already.  So, I walked back to my desk and found the book that they had given us last time as proof that I'd already taken the class (and not just something really similar).  It was really embarrassing telling my coworkers/manager that I had managed to sign up for and attend a class that I'd already taken without realizing it.  In the end, they got someone else enrolled who was waiting to take the class, so...hopefully no harm done.  I'll be more careful next time.  On a positive note, my week at work was much more productive than my original estimate suggested (because I had 3 more days' worth of time to work).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.